ZEITOUNA - an Arab word meaning « olive, olive tree » or « our oil ».
A Palestinian Olive Oil
Olives have been cultivated on the hills of Palestine for over 3,000 years and they represent today the principle agricultural product of that region.
In addition to being an historical symbol, the olive tree is a precious resource for the Palestinian people who have seen their economic opportunities disappear with the closure of their borders.
Palestine is the world's 11th largest producer of olive oil, and the production of this staple food represents the main source of revenue for more than 70,000 Palestinian families (25% of the total population of the West Bank).
Women, in general, represent the largest proportion among agricultural workers. This is even more true in the olive sector.
ZEITOUNA olive oil is produced using traditional methods and without the use of environmentally harmful chemical products.
The oil is certified organic by the Centre of Organic Agriculture in Egypt (COAE) which in turn has been accepted as a certifying body by the Conseil des appellations reservees et des termes valorisants (CARTV).
ZEITOUNA olive oil is imported through the Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (PARC) which has been a member of the International Fair Trade Association (IFAT) since 2006.
The role of PARC is to:
- Purchase olive oil from 30 different Palestinian farm cooperatives at a just and equitable price
- Assure compliance with fair trade norms
- Provide Palestinian producers with technical and logistical support for the production and export of their oil
ZEITOUNA extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed thus preserving its natural flavors and nutritional value.
Words from the Chef
Nice pale yellow color Smell of young fruits Silky flavor with hints of artichokes and bitter almonds With a slightly spicy aftertaste
ZEITOUNA olive oil has received numerous awards:
- Honorable Mention for Best International Cooperation Project
- Honorable Mention for packaging (bottle and label) at the XII Biol Oil Fair, BARI, ITALY, 2007
- Second Place in the East Montreal Entrepreneurship Contest in the category of Social Entrepreneurship, MONTREAL, QUEBEC, 2005
Symbol of solidarity
The importation and sale of ZEITOUNA is part of a social entrepreneurship project launched in 2003 by Medical Aid for Palestine with financial support from CDEC Rosemont-Petite-Patrie.
This initiative has two main objectives:
- Providing economic dignity and additional income to Palestinians farmers who can no longer sell their oil locally because of border closures (28% of the sale price of each bottle of ZEITOUNA goes to the Palestinian producers);
- Financing other health and education projects that help Palestinians and Palestinian refugees (10% of the sale price goes to Medical Aid for Palestine programs).
Palestinian Children at the inauguration of Al-Abidiya playground in May 2006.
By purchasing Zeitouna Olive Oil, you help us build more playgrounds.
As long as there are olive trees...
Zeitouna Project Award
L’AMP rafle un prix dans le cadre du Concours Québécois en entrepreneuriat
- Est de Montréal -
Mis en place pour assurer la relève économique du Québec, ce concours est l’une des activités qui vise à récompenser depuis 7 ans des projets d’entrepreneuriat au niveau local. Ainsi, la remise des prix qui s’est déroulée le 26 avril 2005 au Collège de Maisonneuve a permis de récompenser des projets, se classant dans plusieurs catégories. L’AMP s’est distingué parmi 52 dossiers dans le volet "Création d’entreprise" en remportant le 2ème prix dans la catégorie Économie sociale. Le projet consiste à établir des liens commerciaux entre la Palestine et le Canada, dans le but d’importer des produits équitables palestiniens.